Here's another in our "Vegan Cooking 101" series it's "How To Dice An Onion". This is a basic but VERY important skill to have for new cooks because onions are in pretty much everything! Even if you don't like the taste of raw onion (we despise it) you'll be using onions as a spice in a good chunk of your vegan recipes.
If there are any other vegan "weirdos" out there who don't like onions all that much we'd love to meet you. Please give us a shout out in the comments below, OK? Seriously, who decided that everyone in the whole world LOVES onions? They are in everything! So much so, that in our family at least, they are treated as a stand alone side dish! YUCK lol Okay okay, enough about our oddball tastes, let's get to work.
How To Dice An Onion...
I'll walk you thru the steps here then you can watch the video below to really hammer it in.
- Cut off the sprout end of your onion. Leave the root end alone (the hairy end) you'll need that to hold the onion together while you dice it.
- Set the onion upright onto the sliced off base you just made and cut the onion in half.
- Remove the papery skin of your onion. You will probably want to remove the first layer of the actual onion too as this us often tough.
- If your onion has lots of roots as the one in the image above you can slice them off. But don't cut into much of the flesh of the onion at this point. As I already mentioned you are going to use the root ball to hold the onion together while you dice it.
- Lay your onion half flat onto your cutting board and hold onto it near the roots. Make a series of cuts perpendicular to the root ball all the way across the onion.
- Turn your onion and make a series of cuts parallel to the root ball. You'll be cutting thru or across the slices you already made. As the onion falls off you'll see it is diced. If some of the onion layers stick together just rub them with your fingers, a spoon or your knife and they should fall apart.
I learned how to dice an onion & YOU can too! Check out this Vegan Cooking 101 tutorial!
Watch How To Dice An Onion...
NOTE: She mixes up the root end and sprout ends in this demonstration. Just do what she does and don't worry about what she calls them.
That's not so hard, is it? We really hope ya'll are finding our "Vegan Cooking 101" series helpful. Let us know in the comments below what you think of this instruction and any other skills you'd like us to cover in future posts. Thanks a ton!
Put your new vegan cooking skills to work with these awesome easy vegan recipes...
Oh, and just in case you need to stock up your kitchen we picked out this selection of cool cutting boards and knives for you to drool over. We really want a new set of bamboo cutting boards and think those colorful knives are to die for!
Kitchen Tools You'll Need To Dice Onions
Totally Bamboo 3 Piece Bamboo Cutting Board Set, For Meat & Veggie Prep, Serve Bread, Crackers & Cheese, Cocktail Bar BoardOXO Good Grips Utility Cutting BoardCounterArt Flexible Cutting Mat with Food Icons, Set of 4Chicago Cutlery 1119644 Fusion Forged 18-Piece Knife Block Set, Stainless SteelAmazonBasics 14-Piece Knife Set with BlockCuisinart Advantage 12-Piece Knife Set, Bright (6 knives and 6 knife covers)